Sunday 18 December 2011

CURRANT SCONES



It's biscuit Sunday again and today I'm making something near and dear to my heart. I've been making these for more almost 20 years and they really bring back good memories. It's a great pastry to have with morning tea or coffee or at the end of the day after dinner. Enjoy them warm with butter or jam or just as they are, a special treat anytime! I hope you enjoy them as much as I have over the years.









Everything you'll need. Except swap that soda over there for salt. Oops.





Mix dry ingredients. Cube butter and cut into dry mixture.




Keep cutting in butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.





Add remaining ingredients.





Pulse or stir until all blended.





Roll out onto floured surface. I had no idea my counter top was going to blend in so well to this dough! I'll call it currant scone color from now on. Knead the dough 20-25 times.




Kneaded dough is all ready for baking sheet. Now that it's not blended into the counter, you can see how nicely the currants are blended through. These are going to be yummy!





Shape into just about any shape you want from here. Make them into rounds with your fingers, spoons or use an ice cream scoop for uniformity, it's up to you, they will all taste fabulous!





Line them up on a cookie sheet. They don't expand too much, so you can have them fairly close together.




Sprinkle with a little sugar, just for fun. And because I like everything with a little more sugar sprinkled on top!





Remove from the oven when are light brown. These are a little bit darker than light brown. I got distracted...





Move to a wire rack to cool a bit, just so you don't burn your tongue like I do. I can hardly wait for them to cool before I'm breaking one open to eat it!




So lovely.





I hope you enjoy my currant scones.












Currant Scones


Charene Whorton 1992


Print version











Ingredients







3 cups flour


3/4 cup sugar


2 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp salt


3/4 cup cold butter


1 cup currants


3/4 cup milk


2 tsp vanilla







Directions


Heat oven to 400. Lightly grease or line a cookie
sheet with release foil.


Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl or
food processor. Cube butter and add to mixture. Cut into mixture with pastry
knife or pulse food processor until it looks like coarse crumbs.


Stir in currants, milk and vanilla. Stir or pulse a
few more times until well blended.


Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead 20-25
times.


Spoon into rounds onto cookie sheet or use ice cream
scoop for uniform shape.


Sprinkle with a little sugar on top.


Bake 15-20 minutes or until light brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment